To enhance its small-town charm, Alderson Main Street and the town of Alderson are offering a unique opportunity for members of the community to participate in decorating the town for the December holiday season. This is a fun and artistic endeavor in which businesses, non-profits and individuals may participate.
The opportunities are as follows:
- Adopt one of the eight lampposts along Riverview Ave., and decorate it with lights and a snowman. Each pole has an electrical outlet.
- Make and place a tree, snowman or holiday gnome in the mini park (Lee St. and Riverview Ave.).
- Make and place a tree or snowman in Alumni Park near the gazebo to create a magical forest. Your contribution will be combined with existing trees, deer, and other decorations.
Rules common to all:
- Participants may use a small sign (8-inch X 10-inch) to advertise their organization or business, but it should not detract from the overall aesthetics of the display.
- The decorations must withstand the elements of weather and time, meaning make them water and windproof. Materials for decorating are at participant’s expense. Decorations must be firmly anchored to the lamppost or the ground using a T-post or other suitable anchor.
- Items used must be tactful and have no profanity, sexual connotation or innuendo. Remember, this is a family friendly, small-town event.
- It is the participants’ responsibility to make sure their entry does not obstruct the sidewalk or fall into the roadway. You will have to use material to secure them to the poles that does not require drilling or permanent fixture to the post or scratch the paint on the post.
- Any paint used must be applied before setup at the pole. No paint may be applied to the poles.
- If at any time the entry becomes an obstruction, falls apart, or does not stay attached to the post, the contributor will be notified and it shall be removed or repaired.
- All lights must be LED to reduce electrical consumption.
- Decorations for the Riverview lampposts may be put in place as early as Nov. 26, but no later than Dec. 2 and must be removed by 5 p.m. on Jan. 2, 2023.
- Decorations for the mini park and Alumni park should be put in place on the Community Decorating Day, Nov. 27, at 2 p.m. Participants that cannot make that time should coordinate with Don Sutherland to ensure emplacement of their creation fits in with the overall decorating scheme.
If you would like to participate, contact Sutherland at email@example.com to sign up for a specific spot and type of decoration.