WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS (WVDN) – Lake Sherwood campground and boat house will close for the season Monday, Sept. 5 at the end of the day.
The boat ramp and trails are open year-round; however, staff will also begin drawing down the lake during this time to reduce the growth of water shield, an aquatic plant which is known to take over ponds and lakes.
The conclusion of the summer camping season allows staff to launch the first phase of the Lake Sherwood Great American Outdoors Act deferred maintenance projects with as little disruption to the public as possible. These projects are expected to be complete by the beginning of the spring camping season in May 2023.
The work this fall and winter includes:
• Lower Pine Run Loop: remove existing flush toilet building and replacing with new precast concrete flush toilet.
• West Shore Loop: remove existing vault toilets and replace with two new concrete vault toilets.
• Upper Pine Run Loop: remove existing shower building and install new precast concrete shower building.
• All new buildings will have new concrete pathways for improved user access.
• Additional work to be completed includes asbestos abatement, removal of an existing well house, installation of a new RV pedestal for combined utilities, and remove/replace the wastewater lift station.
Additional projects like these are expected to be completed in the fall and winter of 2023/2024 at Lake Sherwood. A new amphitheater and seating area was constructed in 2021.
Learn more about Great American Outdoors Act projects at https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-land/gaoa and be sure to check out the story map at https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f0f0516e07c34faba63c87caa4f898ad